[rancid] rancid suddenly stopped backing up devices

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Wed Oct 5 06:10:10 UTC 2022

I suspect something broke in your crond(7) or crontab(5)s, since manually invoking rancid seems to work.
It'll vary depending on your OS (which you didn't specify) but try looking in /var/log/cron for information.
The breakage may have come from an automatic OS update, but again, without details it's hard to guess.

But in any case, since clogin still works, it's probably not a RANCID issue at all.  You still need to manually involve rancid (like cron would do) and see if that completes successfully or not.

Also, the problem could simply be email: maybe RANCID is working fine but the emails aren't making it out.  I've run into this more than once when something external in the email chain changed.

You've a bit more basic UNIX troubleshooting to do before we start blaming RANCID, I'm afraid.  Luckily people here will generally be able to provide some advice at the OS level, given adequate detail.

-Adam