[rancid] rancid suddenly stopped backing up devices

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Oct 11 03:44:28 UTC 2022

Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 10:08:09AM +0000, simon ben:
> ending: Mon Oct 10 11:42:48 +03 2022--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> after making small changes the log file
> starting: Mon Oct 10 12:04:18 +03 2022
>
> Trying to get all of the configs.
> All routers successfully completed.
>
> cvs diff: Diffing .
> cvs diff: Diffing configs
> cvs commit: Examining .
> cvs commit: Examining configs
>
> ending: Mon Oct 10 12:04:31 +03 2022----------------------------------------------------------
> So it seems when I add a new device to rancid it works but the next time it does nothing
> any advice and troubleshooting help would be highly apprecited

This is not necessarily an error.  I assume that you know this, but
some changes are not reflected in the configuration because they are
defaults.  You did not share what the change was nor what the device is
(possibly cisco), so I can not comment about whether is a default.

Is the device in the routers.up file?  I can see here how a count of
devices in the log would be useful, back to Adam's comment.

An interface description is an simple change to trigger a rancid diff.

Make the change, then after rancid runs, look at the device file in
configs directory for the change.  If it is there, but you did not
receive an email, look at the mail server logs for it being sent.  If it
was sent, make sure it is not being procmailed/filtered away.