[rancid] login script for PaloAlto PA850

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Thu Apr 6 12:11:26 UTC 2023

Just a reminder that the "set" output cannot always be uploaded directly to a PA in a disaster scenario, only the XML can be used for that.  You can try to paste in the "set" output through either the serial port or an SSH session once you have a network, but that is known to not always work 100% on all versions of PAN-OS.  (The commands are not always generated in the correct order, and outright circular dependencies often exist.)

OTOH, good luck having a human read and understand XML or JSON diffs, so you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place...

We used to solve this by backing up the same config twice, once in each format.  PITA but it worked.

If you also have and use Palo Alto's Panorama product to manage your firewalls, you may as well disregard everything I've just said, it changes the rules of the game completely anyway.  Its config can be captured via SSH in "set" format like a firewall, which is still useful for human analysis.  (Make sure your timeouts are high, though - my Panorama instance takes about 20min to dump ~0.7M lines in "set" format!)

Source: currently in year 4 of a love-hate, no wait, more like a need-hate, relationship with Panorama.

-Adam