[tac_plus] Minimum hardware requirements for tac_plus?

Kyle Rizzo Kyle.Rizzo at ci.ft-wayne.in.us
Mon Aug 18 20:09:15 UTC 2008

I wanted to know what the minimum hardware requirements would be to run
tac_plus? All I found in the FAQ was talking about memory. I don't know
if it is meaning RAM or swap space since it asks about memory but the
last word of the answer is swap.

Q). What are the memory recommendations for TACACS+?
A). Unless you're using passwd style files, TACACS+ holds entries in
    hash tables in memory. The overhead is modest e.g. each user entry
    occupies 72 bytes, plus space for strings like username and password
    etc. Access time should thus be pretty constant regardless of number
    of users. On a sparc 2, a config file containing 2000 users requires
    about 0.5M of swap.

Thank you,

Kyle Rizzo