[tac_plus] Re: des passwords

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Apr 10 17:31:42 UTC 2009

Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 04:20:13PM -0600, Schmidt, Daniel:
> Bitman once showed me how to do longer passwords:
>
> $ mkpasswd --hash=md5 mysecret
> $1$TEWuOxgm$eHFn1umfTovC0ukCYovBf1

Typically 8 characters, but afaik the limitation is in your system's crypt()
and historical backward-compatibility.  Implying that,
	login = des $1$2qGr5PPQ$eT08WBFev3RPLNChixg0H.
	login = des $2a$12$eIAq8PR8sIUnJ1HaohxX2O9x9Qlm2vK97LJ5dsXdmB.eXF42qjchC
for MD5 and blowfish, respectively, should work if your crypt supports them,
as FreeBSD's and NetBSD's do.