[tac_plus] Re: Issue with Cisco switch authentication against Microsoft Active Directory

Hailu Meng hailumeng at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:26:10 UTC 2009

Still no clue how to turn on the log. binding seems good. See my findings
below. Thanks a lot.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM, adam <prozaconstilts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hailu Meng wrote:
>
>> Adam,
>>
>> I tried the su - "userid" in my tacacs+ server but I don't have that
>> userid in CentOS. So the CentOS just don't want me log in. I think this will
>> not ask tacacs server to authenticate against AD.
>>

> You shouldn't need to have to define the user in CentOS, that's the point
> of using ldap for authentication. The user is defined in ldap, not in
> CentOS. Now that I think about it, su - <user> probably wouldn't work
> anyway, as AD doesn't by default have the data needed by a linux box to
> allow login...but see below for more options.
>

>> Is there any other way to test ldap authentication against AD with the
>> userid in AD? I tried ldapsearch. It did find my user id without problem.
>> But I haven't found any option to try with password and authenticate against
>> AD.
>>

> Try using -D:
>
> from `man ldapsearch`:
>
> -D binddn
>  Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory.
>
> so -D cn=username,ou=my_ou,dc=my_dc should let you try to authenticate
> using whatever user you want to define. Just check and double check you get
> the right path in that dn.
>

> I tried -D " cn=username,ou=my_ou,dc=my_dc " but it just returned lots of
users' information. It means successful?

>  Do you have ldap server setup or only the openldap library and openldap
>> client? I don't understand why the log is not turned on. There must be some
>> debugging info in the log which can help solve this issue.
>>

> only the libs and client. You should not need the server. In the
> ldapsearch, you can use -d <integer> to get debugging info for that search.
> As before, higher number = more debug
>

>  If the user can authenticate, does ethereal capture some packets about
>> password verification? Right now I only see the packets when ldap search for
>> my user id and gets results back from AD.
>>

> Ethereal should catch all data flowing between the client and server. If
> you can search out the user in your AD right now, then one of two things is
> happening:
>
> 1. You are performing anonymous searches. In this case, no username and pw
> is provided, and your AD is happy to hand over info to anyone who asks for
> it. If this is the case, you will _not_ see authentication information. The
> following MS KB article should probably help you determine on your AD if
> anonymous queries are allowed:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320528
>
> It has exact instructions for how to get it going, but you can follow along
> with it to check your current settings without making any changes.

I checked our setting. Permission type for normal user is "Read & Execute".
I click edit to check the detail about permission. I think it only allow the
user to read the attributes, permission something and can't modify the
AD.There is "Everyone" setting is also set as "Read & Execute". By the way,
the AD is Win2003 R2.