[tac_plus] tac_plus problem

Kiss Gabor (Bitman) kissg at ssg.ki.iif.hu
Tue Aug 10 16:16:49 UTC 2010

> I've been having lots of errors, there are times when the communication
> between the router and the tacacs+ server fails.

If I were you I'd operate two different tac_plus servers with the same config.
(Actually I do. :-)
Cisco IOS can be configured to use arbitrary number of backup servers.

Our experience that each morning when several autocommands run
on hundreds of NAS's the main TACACS+ server is unable to serve
all the requests and some load is handed over to backup server.

I guess the limit is in the operating system.
A process cannot have unlimited number of open sockets.

Gabor