[tac_plus] Per Device Command Authorization

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:32:21 UTC 2010

Apparently, though unproven, at 19:23 on Thursday 18 November 2010, Ben
Wiechman did opine thusly:

> > The workaround is to use separate tacacs servers for each class of
> > device you
> > have, and configure each one separately with the access you want for
> > each
> > user/group on those devices. Configure your devices to use the
> > appropriate
> > server and port.
> >

> > You can run multiple tac_plus daemons on one host using different ports
> > and
> > devices can be configured as to the port to use. So there's no need to
> > arrange
> > for more machines to do this.
> >

> I hadn't arrived at that, but that would be another choice. It sounds about
> as exciting as maintaining separate user names for different devices/device
> groups and providing different access based on the unique usernames. I just
> wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Neither of the two solutions
> is entirely palatable, but your suggestion has the benefit of being
> transparent to the end user, if a bit more troublesome to maintain and
> configure.

Last I heard, Gabor ran into configuration conflicts, and John wanted to fix
the config parser before looking further into it. It's not an easy problem to
solve - I have a team of devs and mathematicians (real ones with Masters) who
haven't come up with a good config resolver yet.

I use a modified version of multiple servers - each division has it's won
Tacacs server(s) and all share the same authentication credentials.
Authorization rules are done per-division. Sometimes I need different rules
within a division like firewall people don't get access to core routers. I
can't solve this, so I use the BOFH rule:

If I can't trust the firewall people to keep their paws off the core, then
they get no access at all to anything. Thus far, no-one has done anything to
endanger that trust relationship - they know their access depends on it.

Sometimes the best solution is not found in technology :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com