[tac_plus] tac_plus login and enable password issue

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 21:22:29 UTC 2011

There is almost no reason left anymore to use DES hashes in
tac_plus.conf - they have become somewhat trivial to crack (tip: hire
the cpu grunt to do it from Amazon...)

The sysadmin has to generate the hashes somehow, I usually use openssl:

"openssl passwd -1"
generates MD5 hashes with a random salt
"openssl passwd -1 -salt xxxxxxxx"
does the same with a given salt (xxxxxxxx)

The -table option prints the hash and entered password, useful for
finding stupid users that enter their password at a username prompt
filling your logs with entries like "invalid user password123"

Many folks don't seem to know how tac_plus uses hashes, so a quick
summary is probably in order:

tac_plus uses the crypt() library in the underlying operating system
and asks it to hash a given password against the hash in tac_plus.conf.
This will of course either succeed or fail. As such, you can
transparently put any hash value you like in tac_plus.conf as long as
crypt() supports it and it will JustWork(tm).

On most modern Linuxes these days blowfish, sha-256 and sha-512 are
supported out of the box. One just needs to read man 3 crypt to find the
methods supported and man openssl to find the option switches to
generate those hashes.