[tac_plus] Serious security bug in ACL handling of tacacs+-F4.0.4.20

Technic IT Technic at connecta.net
Wed Dec 21 16:34:21 UTC 2011

Hello tac_plus developers,

First of all I would like to thank you for the great tacacs+ implementation.

While testing around with the acl of Version F4.0.4.20 I discovered
a bug in the procedure cfg_acl_check (implemented in the file config.c).

The line
   if (regexec((regex_t *)next->value1, ip, 0, NULL, 0)) {
should be
   if (regexec((regex_t *)next->value1, ip, 0, NULL, 0) == 0) {

>From different sources:
"If regexec() finds a match it returns zero; otherwise, it returns nonzero"
"regexec() returns zero for a successful match or REG_NOMATCH for failure"

Therefore all the acl work something like inverse which could lead
to serious security holes.

Kind regards

Valentin Schmid
Systemengineering