[tac_plus] Configuring a/v pair expected by Brocade VDX switch

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 21:43:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:14:03 -0700
Jathan McCollum <jathan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey John, thanks for the reply. That's a good suggestion that I'll
> tuck away for future reference.
>
> I actually tracked down access to the Brocade support knowledge base
> and found a document someone had posted using Cisco ASA.
>
> And it is:
>
> brcd-role = <role>
>
> So my group config would be:
>
> group = admin {
>     default service = permit
>     service = exec {
>         priv-lvl = 15
>         brcd-role = admin
>     }
> }
>
> However, sharing that with Cisco devices causes them to be unhappy
> and fail authorization. I tried prepending the "optional" keyword
> e.g. "optional brcd-role = admin", which makes Cisco devices happy
> again, but breaks it on the Brocade.
>
> So... almost there, but still missing something.

Hi Jathan,

I had a very similar issue getting my Cisco and Nexus kit to work
together. Short answer is I couldn't get them to work together.

The solution I opted for was to run two instances of tac_plus, the
original on port 49 for Cisco and the second on port 50 for Nexus, and
keep the configs entirely separate. This works for me and is probably
more intuitive than trying to express the same thing in a single config
file.

One of the shortcomings of tac_plus in it's current form is how
inflexible it can be. Users can be a member of only one group, which is
a member of only one group etc. Freeradius has a concept of "vhosts"
which would be insanely useful on tac_plus, but there is no comparable
feature. You seem to have run into this.

I'm not complaining (for the asking price of free tac_plus is a great
product) and until I start submitting patches I have very little
street-cred. In the meantime I accept that sometimes we have to do
things in unusual ways (like run two daemons) to get what we want.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com