[tac_plus] tac_plus and PAM

Tucker Jones ttjones2013 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 28 21:32:56 UTC 2013

Please excuse my newbie questions. To utilize PAM do I need to use the pam_tacplus module? I currently was only using pam_tally2 but after looking around it appeared I needed to utilize the pam_tacplus module instead? Would you be able to clarify which module would be the best? You also said "Since tacacs is authenticating users normally until pam_tally blocks them", per my understanding if I have a user configured for PAM  and they attempt to login, tacacs would look in its conf file and see that the user is set to PAM and then use the associated tac_plus conf file in the PAM directory to tell it what to authenticate the user against?  Would you know of any example configuration where they are using a local shadow file to work with tac_plus and PAM? Most of the examples I find are for LDAP but this is a unique situation and we just want to utilize the shadow file initially.  Are there any good ways to test this locally on the server to try to find any errors? When I changed the module to pam_tacplus I see the user failing authentication now but I can't see what is causing the authentication problem as the user's password is correct that is being entered.

Thank you.