[tac_plus] Multi-key or per-device separetly tacacs key

Robert Kristin robert.kristin1979 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 14:50:43 UTC 2013

Hi staff,

I am beginner in linux, but like open source project.

I use Tacacs+  downloaded from Homepage: http://www.shrubbery.net/tac_plus/

“tac_plus version F4.0.4.26“

All stuff is  runnig OK with one shared secret tacacs key. But my task is
running tacacs+ server with multi-key.

I want configure on each my Cisco device unique key. Or another option
should be create groups of devices by the location ( for example 3 group
EAST, WEST, MIDDLE) and give them different keys.

I try to use parameter „host“ but tacacs+ displayed error message:

/etc/init.d/tac_plus start

Starting Tacacs+ server: Error: Unrecognised keyword address for host World
on line 31

host = World {

        welcome banner = “Hello n\n"

        key = QaWsEdRfTgY

        address = 0.0.0.0/0

    }

When I tried add additional key into /etc/tacacs/tac_plus.conf file:

Key = example123

Key = pokus123

Tacacs+ displayed error message:

/etc/init.d/tac_plus start

Starting Tacacs+ server: Error: multiply defined key on lines 8 and 9

tac_plus.

Thanks for your ASAP reply.

Yours sincerely,

Robert