[tac_plus] SOMAXCONN too small

Stephen Satchell satch at ine.com
Fri Oct 17 13:24:37 UTC 2014

In our shop, we have a number of NAS devices talking to a pair of
tac_plus servers in a failover configuration.  The configuration file
changes constantly.  (Don't ask.)  What we have been experiencing is
that during periods of heavy login activity, some of the users have been
left high and dry, sparking tech support calls and a degraded customer
experience.

Investigating the source, I see that SOMAXCONN is set to 5 (by default?
  Didn't see any way to adjust from ./configure) which for our
application is, I suspect, too small.

Is there a particular reason your LISTEN queue is so short?  Or is this
one of the those situations where "5 should be enough for the usual cases"?

I'll be patching the source to boost this to 50 to see what happens.