[tac_plus] tacacs+ custom reply messages

Chandan Kumar chandank.kumar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:42:04 UTC 2015

Hi Heasley,

Thanks for your response. Basically I am not able to get a working example
of how to use those AVPs in tac_plus.conf. Whatever I have used so far,
they appear to have no impact on the server at all. [the basic
authentication using file /etc/passwd is working though].

While googling I mostly get examples of how to configure CISCO device
[client side] and very limited configuration examples associated with
server configuration other than the file that is packaged with the tac_plus
source code itself.

Example 1:

I want to send a prompt message to host connecting from 192.168.2.53

default authentication = file /etc/passwd

host = 192.168.2.53 {
    prompt = "Welcome\n"
  }

Now when I login, I do not see any "welcome" attched in the reply message
in wireshark. I only see

Flags : 0x0
Server message length : 0
Data Lengh :0

I would appreciate if you could provide a working example of tac_plus.conf
with some AVPs either at authentication or at authorization phase.

I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks
Chandan

PS: In RADIUS it is very simple to send a reply with auth example:

joe     Cleartext-Password := "1234"
        Reply-Message := "Welcom"

On auth success, the server sends this welcom string, which could be used
by the client side to provide additional functionality. [I agree it is not
the best way to do, this example is only for illustration purpose]

--
http://about.me/chandank