[tac_plus] Cisco Nexus Authorization problem

Aaron Wasserott aaron.wasserott at viawest.com
Fri Jul 17 01:26:26 UTC 2015

Try changing "service = shell" to "service = exec" and see if that works. I have NX-OS working fine using that. Also, I have never seen the shell service used in real-world examples for network devices. But reading the manpage it appears it should work to prevent them from entering configuration mode, as long as your AAA commands are set right.

service=shell
for   exec   startup,   and   also   for    command authorizations.  Requires: aaa authorization exec tacacs+

Whether authorization happens, and at which prompt level, depends on the aaa authorization settings. It's possible to only restrict exec level commands, and prevent them from entering the 'conf t' command. But if you want them in conf t mode but restrict their commands at that level, you need to enable something like this:

aaa authorization config-commands default group myTacacsGroup local

If changing the service doesn't work, include the AAA commands on your NX-OS switches.