[tac_plus] Authentication using Likewise and AD

Matt Almgren matta at surveymonkey.com
Tue Mar 31 14:32:37 UTC 2015

Hey there Heasley,

I have been successful with local authentication using /etc/passwd and
DES.  So I know that TACACS and the switch are talking to each other well.

As for the contents of my pam config, well I¹ve tried numerous things.

Here¹s a few examples:

1)
auth       include      common-auth
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account    include      common-auth
password   include      common-auth
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      common-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so

Which produces this common error in /var/log/auth.log:

Mar 31 07:12:44 sjc-tools01 tac_plus[8384]: pam_unix(tac_plus:auth): check
pass; user unknown
Mar 31 07:12:44 sjc-tools01 tac_plus[8384]: pam_unix(tac_plus:auth):
authentication failure; logname=DOMAIN\matta uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser=
rhost=

2)
# here are the per-package modules (the "Primary" block)
auth	[success=2 default=ignore]	pam_unix.so nullok_secure
auth	[success=1 default=ignore]	pam_lsass.so try_first_pass
# here's the fallback if no module succeeds
auth	requisite			pam_deny.so
# prime the stack with a positive return value if there isn't one already;
# this avoids us returning an error just because nothing sets a success
code
# since the modules above will each just jump around
auth	required			pam_permit.so
# and here are more per-package modules (the "Additional" block)
auth	optional			pam_cap.so
# end of pam-auth-update config

Same errors in the auth.log

3)
# here are the per-package modules (the "Primary" block)
account	[success=3 new_authtok_reqd=done default=ignore]	pam_unix.so
account	[success=ok new_authtok_reqd=ok default=ignore]		pam_lsass.so
unknown_ok
account	[success=1 new_authtok_reqd=done default=ignore]	pam_lsass.so
# here's the fallback if no module succeeds
account	requisite			pam_deny.so
# prime the stack with a positive return value if there isn't one already;
# this avoids us returning an error just because nothing sets a success
code
# since the modules above will each just jump around
account	required			pam_permit.so
# and here are more per-package modules (the "Additional" block)
# end of pam-auth-update config

Same errors in the auth.log

I¹m open for any ideas. :)

Thanks, Matt