[tac_plus] TAC+ and Solarwinds Orion NCM don't play well together

Matt Almgren matta at surveymonkey.com
Tue Oct 20 20:12:59 UTC 2015

So we moved away from Rancid for something that is more PCI compliant.  So far so good, until very recently we see this problem.

I have 26 juniper devices in a job in Orion NCM.  For some reason, for the last week, the daily backup job reports that 8-10 devices were “unable to login” or “connection refused”. However, when I switch Orion NCM to use local Admin logins on the Junipers versus TAC+ accounts, I see no errors.   Something with the communication between the network devices and TAC+ isn’t playing nice together.

I’ve tried the following:

Increased the SSH Timeout settings on Orion to 120 seconds.
Decreased the # of concurrent connections from default 11 to 1.
Reinstalled Orion Job Engine + other tweaks on the Orion NCM side.
Tried only Juniper devices, or only Arista devices, or 8 instead of 27 devices = all had mixed failures.

None of the failures are consistent.  Job 1 has 8/27 failures.  Job 2 has 10/27 failures with some that failed in the first job passing in this one.  Etc…

Remember, local NAS accounts setup in Orion work just fine – TAC+ isn’t even talked to when this happens.

Is there any tuning I can do to the TAC+ server to make sure its able to handle the connections?   What debug log level should I be looking at to get the best information?  I’ve tried 24, 60, and even the higher ones, but they’re too noisy.

—
Matt Almgren, Sr. Network Engineer
[cid:29988614-ECDA-44BA-8377-ABD3ACFBCD1C]
101 Lytton Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94301
m: 408.499.9669
www.surveymonkey.com