[tac_plus] tacacs truncating some commands before performing authorization check

Mason Moody mmoody at staff.atlantic.net
Fri Sep 2 14:20:24 UTC 2016

Hi, all,

I'm running TACACS+ version 4.0.4.28 on Ubuntu 16.04, and I'm seeing in
my testing of command authorization some odd truncation of commands. The
relevant portion of my config limits a group of users to certain 'no'
commands, in particular, 'no switchport mode access'. The config line
looks like this:

cmd = no {
      permit "switchport mode access <cr>"
      }

My TACACS logs show that when I run the 'no switchport mode access'
command from a Cisco 3550 (running IOS 12.2(44)SE6), I get an
authorization failure result. The relevant log result shows that the
command that's being compared against doesn't include the last term:

[27071]: line 228 compare no permit 'switchport mode access <cr>' &
'switchport mode <cr>' no match

The Cisco logs record the full command:

%PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:tmonkey  logged command:switchport mode
access

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
--

Mason Moody
Network Security Engineer
Atlantic.Net