[tac_plus] Pam/PAP bug

Daniel Schmidt daniel.schmidt at wyo.gov
Mon Jul 9 17:04:25 UTC 2018

I've noticed an intermittent bug.  User1 inherits pap = PAM from a group.
User2 has simply pap = cleartext "some_password" explicitly set.

Randomly, User 1 starts to be denied on nexus with failed to respond:

2018 Jul  9 10:37:10 Test-Rtr %TACACS-3-TACACS_ERROR_MESSAGE: All servers
failed to respond
2018 Jul  9 10:37:12 Test-Rtr %AUTHPRIV-3-SYSTEM_MSG:
pam_aaa:Authentication failed from 192.168.0.40 - sshd[26316]

User 2, however, gets right in.

Also, User 1 works on authentications other than pap.  (login and enable)

Restarting the tac_plus daemon causes the issue to go away for an undefined
period of time.  I am at a loss to debug or even find a way to recreate the
recurring issue.  tacacs+-F4.0.4.19 did not have this issue.

Note, I have applied this patch because I require pam for enable:
https://gist.github.com/ragzilla/11297928

Admittedly, the next step should be to back out that patch, but I don't
understand why it would cause an intermittent bug, especially when enable
works just fine in the broken state.

Thanks for your time.

of public
business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act and may be
disclosed to third parties.