[tac_plus] Issues with tac_plus and PAM on AD Authenticated RHEL 7

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Apr 3 17:13:28 UTC 2019

Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 04:54:07PM +0000, Ann Morton:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> We have a RHEL 7 server that is AD authenticated via Kerberos/realmd/sssd. I previously had pam_tally2 configured in the system-auth & password-auth modules to deny=3 unlock=1800. Whenever my network admin would login to a network device regardless if the login was correct it would lock her out. I had to uncomment the pam_tally2 sections of the files to alleviate the lockout  issues. Is there a config I'm missing that would allow for using pam_tally2 but not lockout users?

I do not know; I have never used this pam module.  I would look for debugging
options for the module; something that would indicate how many times it is
invoked, and in theory triggered to record success or failure.  One might also
strace the tacacs daemon and enable its debugging to see its interaction with
PAM.  also, check for errors in the pam config; perhaps including the module
at the wrong point or multiple times.