[tac_plus] Escaping special characters within double quotes

Viswanathan, Vasanth vasanth.viswanathan at hpe.com
Fri Sep 13 00:06:06 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am using tac_plus version F4.0.4.28. tac_plus man page suggests to use double-quotes when a string has white spaces. Here is an example of command authorization in tac_plus.conf file –

cmd = ping {
    permit “10\.10\.10\.[2-9]+ -c 10” # allow 10 pings
    deny “10\.10\.10\.[2-9]+ -c 100” # don’t allow 100 pings
}

I have to enclose the regex in double-quotes because it has multiple arguments. But this causes tac_plus to not start due to parsing error.
However this works (without double-quotes) –

cmd = ping {
    permit 10\.10\.10\.[2-9]+
    deny 10\.10\.10\.[20-30]+
}

I looked the source code and it seems like tac_plus only allows backslash/quote/newline character after a backslash within a double-quoted string. I am trying to understand why we have this restriction.

Thanks!
Vasanth