Extreme "bug"?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Dec 17 17:15:31 UTC 2001

Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:46:17AM -0500, Pierre Belanger:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running RANCID 2.2b8 on Extreme switches since a week.
> All Extreme switches run the same OS version. RANCID uses telnet
> to log.
>
> Last Friday for some reason, I noticed the following error from
> one Extreme switch, from the log file:

> Trying to get all of the configs.
> /* SomeExtreme:\d+ ?#\s*(show version|show memory|show diagnostics|show
> switch|show slot|show configuration)\s*$/: ?+*{} follows nothing in
> regexp at /usr/local/rancid/bin/xrancid line 421, <INPUT> chunk 32.
>
> In the lastest saved configuration file, there was this single
> line entry:
>
> hostname% cat SomeExtreme
> #RANCID-CONTENT-TYPE: extreme
> hostname%
>
> On the next do-diffs, things came back normal.
>
> Does someone have a clue on what happened?

it looks as if someone changed the configuration on the extreme and
rancid went to do it's collection (most likely the collection and
the change occured concurrently).  when it grabbed the full prompt
from the o/p, '*' is the leading character and /*/ is an illegal
regexp since * is a range operator.

in the Todo file that came with the distribution, you'll note that
dealing with the * of non-saved configurations is an outstanding
bug/todo.