problem parsing config file on Nortel Passport

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Aug 22 19:24:53 UTC 2003

Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:05:51PM -0700, Stephen Miller:
> Hey,
>
> I've got an issue with grabbing the configs for a Nortel Passport 8006 switch.
>
> I have modified blogin to successfully login and set the terminal length to 0
> and I can use "blogin -c "show config" switch" and it works...but when I try
> brancid on the switch it does not grab the configuration.
>
> I tried to modify the sub ShowConfig in brancid...but with no luck. Here is a
> snippett of the switch config:
>
> it begins:
>
> switch:5# show config
> Preparing to Display Configuration...
> #
> # FRI AUG 22 12:43:02 2003 IST
> # box type             : Passport-8006
> # software version     : 3.3.0.0
> # monitor version      : 3.3.0.0
> #
>
> #
> # Asic Info :
> # SlotNum |Name    |CardType   |MdaType    |Parts Description
> #
> # Slot  1  8608GBE  0x20325108  0x00000000  IOM: GMAC=5   BFM: OP=3 TMUX=2
> RARU=4 CPLD=5
> # Slot  2  8608GBE  0x20325108  0x00000000  IOM: GMAC=5   BFM: OP=3 TMUX=2
> RARU=4 CPLD=5
>

> and ends with:
>
> #
> # NTP CONFIGURATION
> #
>
> ntp enable true
> ntp server create
>
> back
> switch# logout
>
> -- Could you point me in the right direction as to what to modify within
> brancid to have it parse the configuration?

brancid should return an error message when it fails.  This would help
identify the problem, if you can post it here.

helpful debugging process is
	blogin -c 'cmd;cmd;cmd;...' router > router
	brancid -dlf router

which will produce a trace of sorts, any error msgs, and a router.new file
that will likely be truncated and provide hints of what triggered the failure.

my best guess is that the last statement in ShowConfig is incorrect or
incorrectly placed.  perhaps it should be
	if (/^(exit|back)$/)
and be within the while loop.  however, i do not know the syntactical
purpose of 'back' on the nortel.  It would seem that it may be used to
traverse up the configuration "stack", in which case brancid would need
to detect whether a particular instance of 'back' indicated the end of
a configuration or the end of a paragraph; WAG examaple, the end of a
vlan config:

vlan 1
 stp disable
 back