catos on cat5500 issues

Jason Ornstein jason.ornstein at sybase.com
Fri Feb 20 17:02:09 UTC 2004

* john heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> [2004-02-19 21:47:32 -0800]:

> the "set logging session disable" from below would get rid of messages
> like this one.

Right.  This line works for the 3 Catalysts that I tested:

        4506    CatOS 7.6(3)
        4006    CatOS 6.3(7)
        5500    CatOS 6.3(5)

> That is a bug; it should appear there.  thanks.

I'll add it locally as well, thanks.

> do those commands work on whatever catos flavour of the month you are
> running?  does your prompt look something like "switch> (enable)"?  do
> you get a usable login with 'clogin swtich'?  my WAG would be that the
> prompt just isnt being matched properly.

Yes, those commands to work on my three Catalysts.  And the prompt looks
like this

        boulder-cat1> (enable)
        boulder-cat2> (enable)
        boulder-cat3> (enable)

And 'clogin switchname' works for all three hosts w/o a problem.  I
think it is matching the prompts okay.  Here is part of the raw file:

        boulder-cat1> (enable)
        boulder-cat1> (enable) set length 0
        Screen length for this session set to 0.
        boulder-cat1> (enable)  show version
        WS-C4506 Software, Version NmpSW: 7.6(3)
        Copyright (c) 1995-2003 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
        NMP S/W compiled on Aug 22 2003, 03:17:00
        GSP S/W compiled on Aug 22 2003, 00:32:33

> > This is on the same Catalyst above.  Is there a way to filter this not
> > being sent and/or being collected as a diff?

> it would have to be filtered in cat5rancid, though it is not clear to me
> that it should be.  why would spanning tree be enabled on a user interface?

Well, the switch is running spanning tree as it has dual uplinks, but
you're right there is no reason that the fast ethernet ports need to
be running spanning tree.  I'm unaware of a way to disable spanning
tree on a port level though.  I do have portfast enabled, but that is
not the same.  Are you thinking of something else?

-jason