catos on cat5500 issues

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Feb 20 17:33:23 UTC 2004

Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:02:09AM -0700, Jason Ornstein:
> And 'clogin switchname' works for all three hosts w/o a problem.  I
> think it is matching the prompts okay.  Here is part of the raw file:
>
>         boulder-cat1> (enable)
>         boulder-cat1> (enable) set length 0
>         Screen length for this session set to 0.
>         boulder-cat1> (enable)  show version
>         WS-C4506 Software, Version NmpSW: 7.6(3)
>         Copyright (c) 1995-2003 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
>         NMP S/W compiled on Aug 22 2003, 03:17:00
>         GSP S/W compiled on Aug 22 2003, 00:32:33
ah, so it getting some portion of the output.  can you give me the entire
raw file (privately)?

> > > This is on the same Catalyst above.  Is there a way to filter this not
> > > being sent and/or being collected as a diff?
>
> > it would have to be filtered in cat5rancid, though it is not clear to me
> > that it should be.  why would spanning tree be enabled on a user interface?
>
> Well, the switch is running spanning tree as it has dual uplinks, but
> you're right there is no reason that the fast ethernet ports need to
> be running spanning tree.  I'm unaware of a way to disable spanning
> tree on a port level though.  I do have portfast enabled, but that is
> not the same.  Are you thinking of something else?

hmm, looks like you're right.  seems dangerous to me; it is a wonder no one
has complained to cisco.

Does that config command not get set for backbone links?  ie: if it is just
filtered by cat5rancid, actual useful configuration information would be
lost.