Rancid 2.3 RC1

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Jan 12 03:52:23 UTC 2004

Hello Rancid users,
	It has been quite some time since the release of 2.2.2.  2.3
is very close.  We have a few more small bits on the to-do list before
release.

	However, 2.3 represents some rather large changes and some
new additions that we can not test ourselves.  So, we thought that we'd
make a RC1 (Release Candidate 1) of 2.3 available, in hopes that these
changes would get some exposure.

	The most significant change is rancid's adaptation to the FHS (File
Hierarchy Std).  Some folks attempting to package rancid were pestering us
for this and about a few of our file names that conflicted with existing
packages.  we agreed that it'd be a win in the long run, making it easier
to package for the likes of NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, etc.

	So, if you choose to test drive, you'll notice that there are now
etc and share/rancid directories beneath /usr/local/rancid (configure's
--prefix option).  A simple list of user-visible changes:

	bin/env has moved and been renamed etc/rancid.conf
	bin/create_cvs has been renamed rancid-cvs
	bin/do-diffs has been renamed rancid-run
	util/lg/lg.conf has moved to etc/lg.conf
	util/lg/lg*.cgi have moved to bin/

	Also, if a user chose to use /usr as their --prefix, then the
rancid CVS repository and logs dir would have been placed under /usr.  We
have made this dependant upon configure's --localstatedir, which defaults
to <prefix>/var.  We agree that this seems like a fairly stupid place for
it, while /var/rancid is far more logical, but it follows the standard and
is configurable.

	For example, if you wished to maintain the existing directory
locations of your logs dir and CVS repository, ie: /usr/local/rancid/,
then configure like so:

		./configure --localstatedir=/usr/local/rancid

	Remember ...for the common good... and please dont complain to us.

	Please please please read the file UPGRADING, which includes valuable
instructions on how to move your cvs trees, if you choose to relocate them,
and many other bits of trivia.

	RC1 has seen some testing.  The looking glass has not been tested
much.  The following changes need more exposure or have not been tested by us.

	*login: handle TCL meta characters in passwords (etc)
        rancid: add show spe version and parse FRU show diag output
        jrancid: collect show chassis alarms
        rancid: skip show vlan for (3550|4500|7600) - from Andrew Fort
        rancid: show diag updates for 1700, 3700, etc - help from Michael Haba
        add Cisco CSS support - from Wedge Martin
        *login: add cloginrc sshcmd directive - idea from steve neighorn
        support for hitachi routers - from Mohacsi Janos
        Riverstone/Enterasys updates from Andrew Fort
        nlogin: Fix prompt groveling when running a cluster - from D. Pfleger
        nrancid: filter "set admin user" - from D. Pfleger

For those not afraid to get dirty;
		ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/rancid-2.3.rc1.tar.gz

Cheers.