expect (alternatives?) on embedded linux machine

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Dec 29 04:11:00 UTC 2005

Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 05:34:30PM -0800, Ryan Speed:
> I realize this might fall into the off topic category but I'm
> wondering if anyone's had any luck compiling expect on nslu2
> (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/) box, any mention I found in the expect
> archives leads nowhere.  Alternative to this would be to try a python
> implementation of expect, has anyone gone down this road to get rancid
> running on one of these boxes or something similar?
>
> see below for the roadblock, im not a coder so it's got me scratching my head.
>
> thanks in advance,
> ryan
>
> configuring Expect 5.43.0
> checking for autoconf... yes
> checking configure up to date... yes
> checking host system type... Invalid configuration
> `armv5b-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `armv5b-unknown' not recognized

presumably the autoconf script just doesn't know about this platofrm.  grep
it for armv5b.  presumably this is actually just like any other arm based
linux distro; so just figure out which arm<whatever> it does support and
whack it w/ --host & --target