2.3.1 and DESTDIR

Netmanager netmanager at biola.edu
Thu Jul 7 17:14:07 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I am trying to package RANCID 2.3.1 for the DarwinPorts
package manager, and I notice that when I use any of these
configure arguments:

--localstatedir=${prefix}/var/${name} \
--bindir=${prefix}/libexec/${name} \
--sysconfdir=${prefix}/etc/${name}

The DESTDIR gets ignored and my files get installed to
their final locations by bypassing the package manager
when "make install" executes:

/usr/bin/make  install-data-hook
/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs

"Make install" would normally install to an intermediate
location to be installed in a later phase of the package
install.  I've tried patching @sysconfdir@, @bindir@, etc
to have the paths I want in the Makefile.in but soon
afterwards it tries to install files to the unpatched
locations.  I've tried some other things that haven't
worked yet.  Is there an easy way to patch rancid so that
I can use --localstatedir, --bindir, and --sysconfdir and
not have it ignore DESTDIR?  I have looked at the FreeBSD
2.3.1 Rancid port and it doesn't do anything about this,
but since I do not have access to a FreeBSD system I can
only guess that it probably behaves the same.  Like my
port, even if it did it the port would work ok, but this
problem breaks clean uninstalls and other package
management niceties.  Thank you.

Mark