rancid email Precedence

Joe Provo joe.provo at rcn.com
Thu Jun 9 10:46:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:34:15PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
[snip]
> This is sort of a catch-22 though.  The mailing list software is
> configured to /dev/null Precedence: bulk, because other things that might
> send junk mail to it would [ideally] use that precedence.  rancid mail
> isn't junk...and if we have someone stupid enough to setup a broken
> vacation, I'll take care of it/them.
>
> What if there were a config switch in rancid that could be turned off if
> you plan to gateway it into a mailing list?  Our current setup has rancid
> emailing the various group aliases, which I was forwarding into our noc
> mailing list...now I pipe them through formail to remove the Precedence:
> bulk before forwarding to the list...that way I don't have to rely on
> custom hacks to our copy of rancid.

I would imagine most folks do send their mailed data to one or more
lists. We do. The right place to fix it is the mailing list software,
since it is a 'known set' of data coming from static sources. Which
is what it sounds like you did.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  617.670.2904
Senior Manager, Internet Planning & Design           Fax    617.670.2920