RANCID & package managers

Justin Grote justin at grote.name
Fri Jun 10 01:59:19 UTC 2005

Netmanager wrote:

> So I want to make a RANCID package for a popular ports package manager
> for OS X (DarwinPorts).  I like all my open source apps to live in a
> special place.  Would it be better to install all of RANCID into the
> package's {prefix}/var/rancid or to just put the localstatedir (logs,
> repository, groups) there and let bin, etc, man, share go into the
> package manager's {prefix}/bin, {prefix}/etc, {prefic}/man, etc.
> amongst all he other packages stuff?  Opinions on whuch is a better
> way?  Thank you.
>
> Mark

This is more taste than anything else.

If you're following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, then everything
should go into /usr/local, since this isn't software that's included
with the distribution.

I personally build my RANCID RPMs (a Linux package manager) to conform
to the standards of whatever distribution to put the binaries into
/usr/bin, the config into /etc/, the docs into {docdir}/rancid, and I
generally set up my repositories under /srv/rancid (new FHS), although
/var/lib/rancid is a more traditional location (old FHS).

There's no "right" way to do this, everyone has their own opinion. The
distribution specific method I use is fine, you really only need to do
/usr/local if you're doing clustering or some other method that mounts
/usr, /bin, and /sbin from network drives.

--
Justin Grote