Trouble importing devices into CVS/Rancid

Rikard Stemland Skjelsvik rskjels at pogostick.net
Mon Mar 28 17:55:19 UTC 2005

Hello everybody!

Thank you for taking your time to read about my problem with rancid/cvs.
Everything about rancid and clogin seem to work
just fine.
Except importing into CVS. I have tried to run the commands in the
rancid-cvs script manually and i only get an
errormessage about:

cvs [import aborted]: Only numeric branch specifications with two dots are
supported by import, not `1.1.1'.  For example: `1.1.1'.

I have deleted the directory for my group zzz and run rancid-cvs with the
same errormessage. Everything under
/usr/local/rancid is owned by the user
rancid and the group rancid.

I have tried to search on the net, but to no avail. Therefore i turn to
you on this mailing list. Probably it is just some
stupid error i have made or overlooked , but right now i need help to find
my mistake.

When i run rancid-cvs, i get the following error messages:

cvs [import aborted]: Only numeric branch specifications with two dots are
supported by import, not `1.1.1'.  For example: `1.1.1'.
cvs checkout: cannot find module `zzz' - ignored
cvs add: in directory .:
cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do 'cvs checkout' first
cvs commit: Examining configs
cvs commit: in directory configs:
cvs [commit aborted]: there is no version here; do 'cvs checkout' first
cvs add: in directory .:
cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do 'cvs checkout' first
cvs commit: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs commit: nothing known about `router.db'
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

rancid-cvs creates the directory as it should and when i populate the
router.db file, the command "rancid-run bya" will
download the config.
clogin works like a charm too.

My rancid.conf look like this:
TERM=network;export TERM
TMPDIR=/tmp; export TMPDIR
BASEDIR=/usr/local/rancid/var; export BASEDIR
PATH=/usr/local/rancid/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/lib:/bin:/usr/bin; export
PATH
CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/CVS; export CVSROOT
LOGDIR=$BASEDIR/logs; export LOGDIR
OLDTIME=4; export OLDTIME
LIST_OF_GROUPS="zzzA"

The cvs-version is :
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.19 (client/server) running on
SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-27 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210

Thank you for your help!

--
Rikard