getting diff's every hour on my Cisco 2950

Andrew Partan asp at partan.com
Sun Nov 27 23:27:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 10:13:20AM -0800, Shaun Reitan wrote:
> Also i have this error in my logs, i havnt figured out how to correct it but
> maybe it's part of the cause...
>
> cvs commit: Up-to-date check failed for `configs/edge-138.14.irv.xxxxxx.xxx'
> cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

Something or someone has mucked with your CVS store.  See the FAQ, its
in there.
	--asp

Q. I keep receiving the same diff for a (or set of) devices, but I know the
   data is not changing repeatedly.  Why?
A. This is probably a CVS or filesystem permissions problem.  Check the log
   file from the last run for that group for clues first; it may provide the
   exact cause.

   Note: It is very important the following be done as the user who normally
         runs the rancid collection from cron.

   Check the cvs status of the device's file.  example:

   guelah [2704] cvs status rtr.shrubbery.net
   File: yogi.shrubbery.net        Status: Up-to-date

      Working revision:    1.197   Tue Jul 10 15:41:16 2001
      Repository revision: 1.197   /usr/local/rancid/var/CVS/shrubbery/configs/rtr.shrubbery.net,v
      Sticky Tag:          (none)
      Sticky Date:         (none)
      Sticky Options:      (none)

   The Status: should be Up-to-date.  If the status is "Unknown", then somehow
   the file has been created without being cvs add'ed.  This should be
   corrected by removing that device's entry from the group's router.db file,
   run rancid-run, replace the entry in router.db, and run rancid-run again.

   If the Status is anything else, someone has most likely been touching the
   files manually.  Sane state can be achieved by removing the file and running
   cvs update <file> to get a fresh copy from the repository.

   Check the ownership and permissions of the file and directory and the
   directory and file in the cvs repository (<LOCALSTATEDIR>/CVS/).  They
   should be owned by the user who runs rancid-run from cron.  At the very
   least, the directory and files should be writable by the rancid user.  Group
   and world permissions will determined by the umask (default 027), which is
   set in <SYSCONFDIR>/rancid.conf.  Likely the easiest way to fix the
   ownership on the cvs repository is
	chown -R <rancid user> <LOCALSTATEDIR>/CVS <LOCALSTATEDIR>/<GROUPS>