License question

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon Oct 31 17:23:58 UTC 2005

Hello,

while trying to improve the rancid spec file i got from Dan Pfleger so i
can start testing rancid i run into a non technical problem: the
license. I have read the COPYING file and there is the "non-commerical
purposes" limitation for copying, modifying and redistribution. But
there is no mention of "use" of the software in there.
I googled around and what i found is that FreshMeat shows as license
"Other/Proprietary License"
(http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/rancid/) and Debian marks it as
"non-free" (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/rancid). Couldn't
find any previous license discussions for rancid that's why i'm asking now.
To me the software looks like an advertising BSD license with some
non-commercial restrictions but IANAL so i asked one. His answer was: "I
would ask that you contact the maintainers and ask that they clarify
that the non-commercial restriction applies only to re-distribution, not
to use, copying or modification."

What we want to do is to use the rancid internaly at Red Hat, not to
sell it, not to distribute it and not to sell any services based on it.
Only pure internal use.

bye
	michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart