[rancid] using rancid with netscreen firewalls

Chris Gallardo wcgallar at iupui.edu
Fri Aug 4 15:24:11 UTC 2006

I have a netscreen firewall that is already in enable mode when you login.  However the prompt does not contain  '#' sowhen I try nlogin it returns this error

iub-machine-room:bfw1(M)-> can't read "enable": no such variable
     while executing
"if { $enable } {
         if {[do_enable $enauser $enapasswd]} {
             if { $do_command || $do_script } {
                 close; wait
                 continue
             }
         }
     }"
     ("foreach" body line 66)
     invoked from within
"foreach firewall [lrange $argv $i end] {
     set firewall [string tolower $firewall]
     send_user "$firewall\n"

     set prompt ">"

     # Figure out..."
     (file "/usr/bin/nlogin" line 423)

i tried setting autoenable to 1 in .cloginrc but did nothing to solve the error above.  I believe the script still checks the command prompt for the '#' even if autoenable is turned on.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Gallardo
Network Services
278-9067