[rancid] Using RANCID on Riverstone and Tellabs equipment

Manuel Noriega mnoriega at amnetcorp.com
Mon Dec 11 18:43:28 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've been using RANCID for a couple of months and have been able to add:

Cisco Router
Cisco Catalyst Switch
Juniper Router

But I also have some Riverstone and Tellabs equipment which I can't
get to work under RANCID.

In the Riverstone case I am not using RADIUS or TACACS but I can't
get the enable password to work. I get an "%CONS-W-BADPASSWD,
incorrect password" error.

=======================================
[rancid at neo bin]$ ./rivlogin rsgt1
Trying 10.1.64.101...
Connected to rsgt1 (10.1.64.101).
Escape character is '^]'.

RS 3000 System Software, Version 9.4.0.3
Riverstone Networks, Inc., Copyright (c) 2000-2004. All rights reserved.
System started on 2006-05-21 17:45:54

Press RETURN to activate console . . .

Password:
rs-gua-3600-02>
rs-gua-3600-02> enable
Password:
%CONS-W-BADPASSWD, incorrect password

% Authentication failed.

rs-gua-3600-02> ERROR: do_enable failed to gain enable mode.

In the .clogin file I've got:

add user       rsgt*   admin
add userpassword rsgt* vtypassword
add password    rsgt*   vtypassword enablepassword
add method rsgt* telnet

And in the Tellabs case, since this equipment is not supported under
RANCID I don't know how I should configure it since I believe it
shouldn't be too dificult to get to work (but I have no experience in
RANCID). What I need is simply to telnet to the equipment, enable,
and execute "show running-config". The equipment has no vty or enable
password.

telnet tellabs1
Trying 10.1.64.41...
Connected to tellabsgt1 (10.1.64.41).
Escape character is '^]'.
*                                                                *
*                Tellabs 8660 Network Element                    *
*    Copyright (c) 2004-2006 Tellabs. All rights reserved.       *
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with ^Z
Hostname>
Hostname>enable
Hostname#show running-config

Any help would be much appreciated.