Doesnt Timeout?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Feb 23 21:35:16 UTC 2006

Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 04:03:29PM -0500, Seth Martin:
> I've Installed RANCID on a fresh install of Debian.  It runs just fine,
> I setup a spare cisco 2600 router and I am able to log the config,
> changes to the router get reported just fine.  However if the device
> goes down (I turn itoff) and do a rancid-run it just hangs, and hangs,
> and after about 15 minutes I kill the process.  I am using the TCL  and
> expect packages from the rancid ftp server.  Any idea why this would
> happen?  Is it maybe because I have only 1 device?  When the device is
> down the clogin does timeout.

That is odd.  The connection should timeout (telnet or ssh) or expect
should timeout waiting for either of them.  Please send a transcript of
an interactive login attempt ("clogin device") while it is off or
disconnected.  eg:

% jlogin jnx
jnx
spawn telnet jnx
Trying 198.58.5.26...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

Error: Couldn't login