[rancid] Re: clogin connecting over an other router?

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Mon Jun 26 14:07:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0200, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> I know there is the work to make clogin connect over terminal servers
> and that could be made to work for this case too but that's overly
> complicated. Having something in .cloginrc like:
>   add via 192.168.42.* 192.168.0.254
> would be way easier.
> So a clogin 192.168.42.42 would connect normaly to 192.168.0.254 and
> then spawn itself and do a ssh/telnet to 192.168.42.42.

Interesting idea.  When I wrote the patch for using arbitrary commands
to connect to the remote router, discussed here:

  http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2006-May/001490.html

It didn't occur to me one might want to use clogin as the external
command to make the connection.  But it should work - with the patch,
you could do this:

   add method viarouter {usercmd}
   add usercmd viarouter {clogin} {-c} {telnet 192.168.42.42} {192.168.0.254}

Assuming that cloginrc was set up properly to log in to 192.168.0.254.

> The advantage of this approach is that one wouldn't have to add any
> expect code into cloginrc like it is needed with the generic terminal
> server approach as clogin already has all the needed code.

Indeed - the "chat script" stuff I put into the patch shouldn't be needed
in this case.