[rancid] Re: rancid use scenarios

Zhang, Anchi azhang at StanfordEagle.com
Tue May 30 21:31:57 UTC 2006

Have you tried to change passwords/enable secrets on hundreds of Cisco
devices without Rancid after a group member leaves?  At my previous job,
there were more than 500 Cisco devices and I was the only one versed in
Unix/Rancid.  As a result, I was asked to run my shell/clogin script to
change the passwords on my LAST day.

Rancid should be deployed if there are more than 10 network devices just
as Cfengined should be deployed for an installation of more than 10
Unix/Linux nodes.

-----Original Message-----
From: rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net
[mailto:rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net] On Behalf Of Chris Moody
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:25 PM
To: rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
Subject: [rancid] rancid use scenarios

I'm currently using rancid for backups of a handful of devices (83 to be

exact) and love it.  Our group has used it numerous occasions to prove
when changes did/didn't occur.

At any rate, I'm needing some usage scenarios to help me sell the
concept to a larger audience at my office.  We have another team that is

responsible for several hundred nodes and has nothing like rancid in
place.  I'm planning to get them using the service, but need more
"weight" in selling the idea to them.

What are some of the largest deployments of rancid (also anyone willing
to give contact info to vouch for their numbers?)?  Anyone have
experience in enterprise scale usage?  Any caveats?  Any tips?

Any insights and stories are appreciated.  If I can demonstrate that the

  tool(s) can reliably handle a large load of devices, the widespread
usage may become a reality instead of just my recommendation.

Cheers,
-Chris