[rancid] Re: VTP

Johan Bergström johan.bergstrom at tietoenator.com
Mon Nov 27 09:40:24 UTC 2006

Well I guess that's one of the problems, I don't know if you can catch
it in 'show run'. But you can see the VTP settings by issuing 'show vtp
status' and the output will be something like this,

Router>sh vtp status
VTP Version                     : 2 (1)
Configuration Revision          : 181
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs        : 47
VTP Operating Mode              : Server (Client or Transparent)
VTP Domain Name                 : VTP_DOMAIN
VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled (Enabled)
VTP V2 Mode                     : Disabled (Enabled)
VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled (Enabled)
MD5 digest                      : 0x1F 0xCD ... ...
Configuration last modified by 192.168.255.200 at 11-16-06 21:10:34
Local updater ID is 192.168.255.200 on interface Vl1 (lowest numbered
VLAN interface found)

Everything within parentheses are my comments in the above output. It's
possible outputs from the 'sh vtp status' command.

The important information for me is VTP Operating Mode,
VTP Domain Name and VTP Traps Generation

But I guess for others VTP Pruning Mode, VTP V2 Mode and VTP Version
could be just as important.

The commands I use to setup my vtp are 'vtp domain VTP_DOMAIN' and 'vtp
mode server(or client or transparent)' on some switches/routers where I
want vtp traps, I enable that with 'snmp-server enable traps vtp' the
snmp-server command is shown in 'sh run', so it's cought with rancid
already.

The other VTP commands are set with 'vtp pruning', 'vtp version <1|2>'

Johan