[rancid] Re: VTP

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Nov 27 19:52:10 UTC 2006

Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 10:40:24AM +0100, Johan Bergstr?m:
> Well I guess that's one of the problems, I don't know if you can catch
> it in 'show run'. But you can see the VTP settings by issuing 'show vtp
> status' and the output will be something like this,
>
> Router>sh vtp status
> VTP Version                     : 2 (1)
> Configuration Revision          : 181
> Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
> Number of existing VLANs        : 47
> VTP Operating Mode              : Server (Client or Transparent)
> VTP Domain Name                 : VTP_DOMAIN
> VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled (Enabled)
> VTP V2 Mode                     : Disabled (Enabled)
> VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled (Enabled)
> MD5 digest                      : 0x1F 0xCD ... ...
> Configuration last modified by 192.168.255.200 at 11-16-06 21:10:34
> Local updater ID is 192.168.255.200 on interface Vl1 (lowest numbered
> VLAN interface found)
>
> Everything within parentheses are my comments in the above output. It's
> possible outputs from the 'sh vtp status' command.
>
> The important information for me is VTP Operating Mode,
> VTP Domain Name and VTP Traps Generation

show vtp status was added a long time ago.  and, I expect the commands to
alter it would appear in show running (excepting the 'defaults' which
cisco may change at their whim).

> But I guess for others VTP Pruning Mode, VTP V2 Mode and VTP Version
> could be just as important.
>
> The commands I use to setup my vtp are 'vtp domain VTP_DOMAIN' and 'vtp
> mode server(or client or transparent)' on some switches/routers where I
> want vtp traps, I enable that with 'snmp-server enable traps vtp' the
> snmp-server command is shown in 'sh run', so it's cought with rancid
> already.
>
> The other VTP commands are set with 'vtp pruning', 'vtp version <1|2>'

all of these should appear in the show running output.  either you're
running a very old version, have the device configured as "cat5", or
???