[rancid] Re: rancid hang

Rob Shepherd rob at techniumcast.com
Fri Oct 6 12:12:06 UTC 2006

Rob Shepherd wrote:
> Dear Rancid people,
>
> I'm in the process of setting up Rancid and looking forward to what it
> offers. Thanks for this development effort. :)
>
> However,
>
> clogin <my device>
>
> hangs at the prompt. I can't type anything in. The session subsequently
> times out or I hit CTRL-C to get back to shell.
>
> Obligatory info....
>
> Solaris 10 x64
> expect 5.42.1
> perl 5.8.8
> tcl/tk 8.4.10
> Cisco 3750 switch
> Radius shell:priv-lvl=2 attribute for user, which logs in already enabled.
> prompt = cast-tec-ps-13-asw1#
> banner has loads of * in it but no other special char.
>
> I can ssh to my device fine.  What commands are executed on the device.
> Which ones do I need to place in priviledge level 2?
>
> Could this be the expect bug mentioned in the FAQ?
>
> How do I go about debugging and diagnosing this issue.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

To further this issue.

I've installed the patched versions of expect and tcl from the shrubbery
FTP site.

I am sure the correct versions are being picked up, despite the
non-standard locations.

rob at solaris> head -n4 clogin
#! /usr/local/expect-5.40-rancid/bin//expect --
##
## $Id: clogin.in,v 1.99 2006/08/10 07:00:30 heas Exp $
##

rob at solaris> ldd expect | grep tcl
libtcl8.3.so =>  /usr/local/tcl-8.3.4-rancid/lib//libtcl8.3.so

So the script is using the patched expect and the patched except is
linked to the patched tcl (I have no LD_LIBRARY_PATH btw)

Any further pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

--
Rob Shepherd, PhD | Computer and Network Engineer | TechniumCAST
rob at techniumcast.com | 01248 675024 | 077988 72480