[rancid] Re: Wildcards in banner potentially causing issue

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Sun Feb 24 01:24:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:45:29AM -0800, Shapery, Steve wrote:
>    So I have rancid running, trying to collect configs from Cisco routers,
>    and it works dandy if I do a command-line clogin with the full
>    commands.
>

>    clogin -t 90 -c "show run" router1
>

>    however, if I run it through the rancid-run script, I get odd errors
>    and it doesn't seem to work.
>

>    The only thing I can think of is that the login banners have & * ` and
>    & in them.
>

>    Does anyone know if I have to somehow escape those out, or do something
>    to force the rancid script to ignore the special characters?

The RANCID FAQ ( http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/FAQ ) says:

Q. Are there any characters in the banner that rancid has problems with OR
   I changed the device's command prompt and now collection is failing?

A. The trickiest part about clogin (et al) is recognizing the prompt
   correctly.  clogin looks for '>' and '#' to figure out if it is logged
   in or in enable mode.  So if you have a '>' or '#' in your login banner
   (or other motd), then clogin gets all confused and will not be able to log
   in correctly, and thus rancid will fail.

   Don't use '>' or '#' in your prompt or in your banner or other motd.

Suggest you go through the FAQ and see if that warning or any
other section in there applies to you.  If you can't fix it, come back
here and post the exact text of the "odd errors" that you're getting.