[rancid] Re: Device not issuing and "End"

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue May 27 16:14:57 UTC 2008

Mon, May 26, 2008 at 02:43:38PM +0300, Saku Ytti:
> On (2008-05-23 12:49 -0700), Chirayu Patel wrote:
>
> > Anyone figure out a work around?
>
> Rancid already supports those nodes, with:
>
>     if ($type =~ /^CE$/ && $linecnt > 5) {
>         $found_end = 1;
>         return(1);
>     }
>

> Basically I don't think the end-of-run check is very
> useful anyhow. Just x lines + prompt seen again
> should do the trick and be more portable.

I disagree.  merely receiving the prompt back has proven itself not a
reliable indicator.  if the box provides an end-of-config marker and we
do not received it, then something is broken.  if the box does not provide
an end-of-config marker, then its broken and you should haggle your sales
rep until they start to lose sleep.  if it provides one and we cant't
bothered to check for it, then we're broken.