[rancid] Re: Device not issuing and "End"

Saku Ytti saku+rancid at ytti.fi
Wed May 28 09:05:02 UTC 2008

On (2008-05-27 09:14 -0700), john heasley wrote:

> I disagree.  merely receiving the prompt back has proven itself not a
> reliable indicator.  if the box provides an end-of-config marker and we
> do not received it, then something is broken.  if the box does not provide
> an end-of-config marker, then its broken and you should haggle your sales
> rep until they start to lose sleep.  if it provides one and we cant't
> bothered to check for it, then we're broken.

If we're talking IOS specifically, most other boxes do not have any magic
marker for end-of-config. And many of these boxes, would work with
'cisco' style rancid just by removing end-of-config check.
 Anyhow, I'm not going to argue about. I'm happy with what rancid
does today, as it's easy for me to hack the check away when needed,
but it seems for some it seems to be big problem.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti