[rancid] Re: Filtering files pre-checkin

Mike Ashcraft mashcraft at omniture.com
Fri Sep 5 04:42:28 UTC 2008

The issue at hand is that rancid can't be everything for everyone out of the box.  There are too many opinions out there as to what should/should not be included.  And everyone has valid reasoning for their position.  This leaves the admin to make a few code adjustments on their own which are easily accomplished.

You can modify bin/rancid (or the appropriate script if your device is not a cisco) so that lines are not output based on regular expression matches.  You could also comment out the router command that generates the undesired output.  There are a number of these exceptions already in the code if you need a sample code snippet.  Some common exceptions are even triggered by environmental variables to make them easy to turn on/off.

Another option would be to add some code to bin/control_rancid to strip the undesired content before the diff is generated (to prevent e-mail) or before the file is checked in.

Mike