[rancid] Re: missed cmd(s): write term

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Jan 6 00:06:23 UTC 2009

Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 09:10:57PM +0000, Barry O'Donovan:

> Folks,
>
> I'm getting the above error for one of our routers which worked previously. It
> is most likely due to an IOS upgrade.
>
> However, I see from the archives that this question is asked a lot but no one
> seems to have an answer and I imagine it affects a lot of IOS versions based
> on this.
>
> When running:
>
> 	rancid -d router.domain.ie
>
> with:
>
>         setenv NOPIPE YES
>
> I can see that the issue is because the 'write term' is not echoed to screen:
>
> router#show running-config
> Building configuration...
>
> Current configuration : 32864 bytes
> ntp server 10.2.2.3
> !
> end
>
> router#Building configuration...

given that output/last line, I presume that something caused clogin to
send the write term command before the actual prompt appeared.  This
is what causes rancid to not see it.  I believe this problem has since
been fixed, so either you have an older version of clogin or one that
has been hacked.