[rancid] Re: rancid and git

Joel Krauska jkrauska at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 16:46:50 UTC 2010

On 4/22/10 8:49 AM, seph wrote:
> The idea of having the configs pushed into a more central repo where I
> can then pull them to my laptop for reading/grepping/etc is
> appealing. And that's something git supports better than cvs and svn.

how exactly does git support pulling this better than svn?

git clone
vs
svn checkout
?

Personally, I find that rancid is better than a shell script when it
comes to managing lots of devices (>5) and heterogeneous devices (cisco
switches, juniper routers, citrix loadbalancers).

Writing interactive (expect) scripts is no fun. Even in their more
modern implementations (python expect for example).

Rancid already supports tons of hardware for which you would have to
write custom code.

Maybe give DIY a try and then see if you want to reconsider.  :)

Cheers,

Joel