[rancid] Re: figure out prompt in h3clogin fails

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Sun Mar 28 19:34:25 UTC 2010

(I wrote this but did not send it at the time; subsequently I have sent
Stefan a new version to try which fixes some issues).

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Stefan Juon wrote:

> Nice to meet u Jethro and thank you for you effort for h3clogin ;-) I
> try to make rancid work against a H3C S5120 (and furthermore a S7500E,
> S5800). Once I set NOPIPE=y the .new and .raw are touched. However there
> is no new information:
>
> .new:
> !RANCID-CONTENT-TYPE: h3c
> !
>
> .raw:
> npd0011
> spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid npd0011
> rancid at npd0011's password:
>
> <npd0011>undo terminal monitor
> Info: Current terminal monitor is off.
>
> <npd0011>
> <npd0011>
> Error: TIMEOUT reached
>
> Am I right the after sending \r the prompt is automaticlly determined?

Something like that, but it can be very fragile across different boxes.

I have a question: I have one (3Com-branded) 4800G (apparently the same as
the H3C-branded S5500, but not the same as the 3Com-branded 5500) which
issues bell (ding!) when it prints the prompt.  Does your model happen to
do this?

I will be away next week so may not get to look at this any more.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK