[rancid] Rancid stopped sending email, almost

Serao, Ron seraor at helenhayeshosp.org
Fri Nov 12 16:52:06 UTC 2010

Good Morning All,
I am having a problem with my rancid install and I could use some help
with trouble shooting.
I have about 20 Cisco switches that it monitors.  All but one of these
switches is in a 172 subnet.  The one odd ball is in a 192 subnet.
We noticed that Rancid stopped sending mail notification of changes
about three weeks ago.  Nothing changed in the switch environment or the
rancid box.
The switch in the 192 subnet is very seldom changed and much to our
surprise when a change was made we got an email from Rancid.  We made a
change in the 172 subnet as a test to see if an email  would follow but
none did.  We also get emails if we make a change to router.db.
Postfix is obviously working.  Router.db contains all the hosts, all of
which are listed as UP.  The CloginRC has all the correct usernames and
passwords.
I can tell that Rancid is collecting the changes because there is log
data in /var/log/rancid.
So in summary notification works for the switch in the 192 subnet, and
changes to router.db, but not for any of the switches in the 172 subnet.
Any thoughts would be welcomed as I have no clue where to go from here.

Thank you,

Ronald Serao
Director, Information Technology
Helen Hayes Hospital
845-786-4755 Voice
845-947-4102 Fax

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information, which is, or may be legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.%CRLF%It is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute copy or use it or any attachments.%CRLF% Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system.  Thank you for your cooperation.